Saturday, November 1, 2008

The Everest Base Camp trek begins

The adventure began with a 45 minute flight in a twenty passenger plane to Lukla, the usual beginning airport for an Everest Trek. Ten minutes into the trip, I'm looking out the window and the right propeller stops. So, now we're only flying on one propeller. A bell rights and the stewardess walks from the back of the plan to the open pilot seats in full view of the passengers. Next thing we're told the plane is turning back to Kathmandu and the stewardess says don't worry. Sure! But, we arrive safely and take off in one hour later in a new plane.

I'm two days into a 21 day Everest trek. So far I've been hiking about 4.5 hours each day, but expect to increase it. I'm trying to get acclimated to the high attitude slowly, and my body seems to be slowly adapting. The trick is to have an overnight rest at a high attitude, hike up further the next day, then fall back to a lower attitude. Even very healthy, fit young people get high attitude sickness and it is serious. Two weeks in high altitude Bhutan helped. When I first trekked in Bhutan and walked uphill I felt my heart pounding like crazy and my mouth gasping for air. Now, its better.

The the snowy high peak scenery is spectacular! The trek is a one big challenge, but I'm getting more confident everyday that I'll be able to complete it.

I can't believe I'm doing it!

3 comments:

Two Become One said...

Good on you Steve, still folowing your blog keep it up sir!!!

Unknown said...

hi Steve! Debora, Neil, and Freddie here,
we're so happy for you and we would love to see some pictures if possible. can you put some on the blog? keep on trekkin'!!

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you are having the time of your life I miss you so much and I hope that the weather has been okay there. I want to see pictures too. We are going to Colorado for Thanksgiving to see Aunt Debora, Freddie, and Neil it is going to be so much fun but not as much fun without you