Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Holy River of Kathmandu

Yesterday, I spend 3 hours watching the magical, mystical, holy, sacred Hindu ritual of cremation. I was humbled by the experience.

An ambulance arrives with the body, and it is carefully brought to the Hindu Temple besides a holy river and set on concrete steps. With enchanting Hindu music and dancers ritualistically waving fire and burning candles in the dark, evening air, the soul is released from the body in what seem to be an hour long ceremony slowing moving the body closer to the river. It was beautiful and moving. Then, the body is moved to the cremation area at another spot besides the river. The wood is piled high and the body is set on top covered with a beautiful white cloth. The family is behind the body in silent mourning. Above the body straw is set. Slowing, deliberately, the fire is set in full solemn view of many witnesses for what seemed like hours. The ashes are scraped into the river. An extraordinary moment-powerful. We're all on earth for a brief moment. This is a lesson on impermanence.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steve...good luck on this next part of your trip. No helicopter rides-we think of you every day!
:) Marie

Anonymous said...

hey dad,

Have fun on the three week treck I miss you and I love you so much I think about you everyday and I will be thinking of you on Thanksgiving.