Monday, November 24, 2008

Varanci, India

I flew down to Varanaci, India for a week or 2. It's an incredible spiritual/pilgrimage spot where many people come to die. Varanci is one of the oldest living cities in the world with many temples, and ghats(where they prepare the bodies). I see many old people heading to the river to wait and die. They stay in houses along the Ganges River with a doctor on duty until they die. The world along the India's holiest river is like centuries ago. People drink the river, burn bodies along the river, live and take bathes in the river. Life along the river is absolutely fascinating and so photogenic! Holy men in orange robes, no shoes, staffs, up to 20 feet of hair under their turbans, and often long white beards are abundant. It's all about devotion to Vishnu and Shiva. People do pilgrimage routes barefoot that can last up to five days with one vegetarian meal a day. Everyone has some Hindu mark on the forehead(third eye). There are constant "ceremonies" with huge candlelight chandeliers and loud Hindu music. This is also the time of year for weddings. I could barely sleep the last 2 nights because of blasting Hindu wedding music next to my hotel room until after 2am. I had to wear earplugs to bed. The back streets of the old city are winding, small, intricate back allies filled with shops where it is easy to get lost and people always want to talk to you. All life happens on the streets. "It is not easy to comprehend for those of us who stand outside the Hindu tradition. As we survey the riverfront at dawn, we are challenged to comprehend the whole of India in one sweeping glance." Diana Eck, Varanasi: City of Light

Yoga/meditation schools are everywhere as well as Indian classical music places. I just took a 2 hour yoga class with a "Professor(Swami) of Yoga." He comes from a family with many yogis.

Craziness everywhere. This is India!

Nepal has a lot of political chaos with the Maoists running the government now. Many of the roads are blocked so it difficult to travel anywhere outside of Kathmandu. Two people from a political party were murdered and there is national teacher strike. I hope things cool down when I get back.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Marco: The tales of your adventures are simply mind-boggling! It really sounds like you could use a day at the beach just hanging out. Settle down, pal! Try checking into a 4 star to get some rest...you deserve it!

Gary

loren said...

Dear Professor

Well again you amaze me Mr. Kass. I have read all the blogs and and caught up in the reading assignments. This is a great trip,on the way to enlightment. Someday I hope to join you on your travels. love Loren

loren said...

Uconn Men's and Women's on the cover of SI. Preseason number one women and men #2. Be well
peace out loren

ALiGENNy said...

Be careful in India Uncle Steve!!!

Ed said...

Hey Steve,
Listen to Allison. The news out of Mumbai has been ugly this week. I've been reading about your journey and look forward to hearing about the details when you return. keep your eyes open.
Ed