It took me 12 hours to travel by car from Varanaci back to Nepal. It's a wonder I didn't get killed. After dark, there are no lights, hundreds of bikes, rickshaws, and people darting back and forth across the road and you can't see them, while we're passing slow, big trucks and buses with black fumes blasting out the back and dealing with oncoming traffic.
Finally, I arrived in Chitwan National Park, the most popular Nepal park, after dark, trying find a hotel room. I ended up with a $3 room including breakfast, but it wasn't as bad as many of you think!
A two day walking safari(6-7 hours a day) was a nice change of pace after Varanaci, India where the boatmen constantly asked you if you want to hire a boat about every 5 feet. I hired a guide and bodyguard(standard procedure for entering the park) to lead me though the jungle and protect me from tigers, sloths, leopards, and rhinos. They are not allowed to carry guns. I walked between them and we all carried long bamboo sticks just in case of an attack as we bushwhacked and followed trails through tall, 8 foot high grass. We saw lots of animal tracks and droppings, but we did not get any surprises. I learned how to protect myself from a 2 ton charging rhino by running in a zig zag pattern, then hiding behind a tree. Rhinos have poor eyesight, but have a great sense of smell. With a tiger, we have to all stand together and face the tiger without running. Fortunately, I didn't have to use any of these strategies! I got some great looks at rhinos(one with a baby), lots of different birds, crocodiles, but no tiger, sloths, or leopards. I also saw one captive tiger.
Tuesday, December 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Dear Marco: So glad to hear from you again and your safe paasage back to Nepal! Glad to hear of $3. room that isn't as bad as we might think! You are so funny! What is it? Zero Stars instead of Below Stars? I'm glad to hear you are moving up in the world! Marie and I can't wait to see you demonstrate the 'Zig-Zag Pattern' of avoiding Rhinos! Stay safe.
Gary
steve
Don't you still use the lack of a shower as an avoidance technique against wild charging animals. Remember stay down wind and wear bells. Anyway $3.00 a nite is that the local motel 3 chain-did you get frequent flyer miles? Be well. Peace Loren
Hi Steve,
If I ever slip and think "Wouldn't it be nice to go someplace exotic with Steve and have an adventure," I gonna reread this blog entry. That should shake that silly idea out of my head. What really surprised me about your tiger survival strategies is that you forgot the most important one. Always be sure yuo can outrun at least one person in the group!
Ed
Post a Comment